• Enabled the early use of portable power tools, camcorders, laptop
computers and cellular phones.
• Was the industry standard for portable computers until 1992.
• NiCad batteries have been virtually displaced by NiMH and Li-ion.
• Low energy density by weight makes it less desirable for portable computers.
• NiCad batteries have a memory that prevents efficient topping up.
• NiCads polute the environment if not disposed of correctly.
• Low cost and high power capability make it the best technology for motor driven portable devices such as power tools.
• Uses nickel hydroxide and cadmium electrodes with potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.